If you are in the market for a second-hand car, it is wise to perform a South Dakota license plate search to ensure the vehicle you intend to buy is worthwhile. Using a free VIN search or license plate lookup will help you research several important facets of the car, including: accident history, market price, mileage, ownership history, service records, title status, theft history, and much more.
The information in a South Dakota license plate lookup will help you to quickly identify all the essential aspects of the vehicle you are considering. Is the car properly titled with the South Dakota Department of Motor Vehicles? You want a vehicle that has a clear and legal title, but the South Dakota license plate records may return a different story. Worse, it could be a nightmare involving salvaged titles, flood titles, totaled titles, rebuilt titles, or junk titles.
Additional important information from a South Dakota license plate lookup include:
- Repair and recall issues. Mechanical damages significantly impact the performance of a car. Although it is illegal to sell new cars with a recall history, used car buyers are not protected by this law. A South Dakota license plate search can help you avoid cars with mechanical issues, either from mass recalls or as a lemon.
- Accident history. Even if a car looks impeccable outside, the history can be ugly. South Dakota license plate records should list all accidents for the car, including details and any repairs undertaken.
- Odometer verification. A South Dakota license plate search gives you a documented odometer reading. Comparing the mileage on the report with the odometer reading will verify its accuracy. There are unscrupulous sellers who manipulate the odometer reading, rolling the mileage back so they can charge more.
- Theft reports. A car is stolen every 45 seconds in America. Thieves can swipe the VIN of the stolen car and create a new VIN before selling it back to the public. A South Dakota license plate search will match the VIN in all the documents to help you avoid being a victim of VIN cloning.
- Service and maintenance records. It is essential to buy a vehicle that has been well serviced and maintained. A South Dakota license plate search will provide you with service records and inspection tests that will guide you in purchasing a well-maintained car.
- Value estimate. Avoid sellers who are overpricing their vehicles. A South Dakota license plate search will use the available information on mileage, services and trade-in history to estimate the fair value of the car.
- Fuel economy rating. What is the fuel consumption of the vehicle? Even if the models are the same, fuel economy ratings vary depending on the year and engine.
- Ownership history. A South Dakota license plate lookup will provide you with a history of its ownership history, sales and trade-in. You can easily verify if the vehicle is indeed one owner or if it’s a lemon that has been passed from auction house to dealer and back again.