When should I register my vehicle?
You are required to register your vehicle within 15 days from the date of purchase at the Michigan Secretary of State office. For car owners who will be residing for a short term, they can choose to apply for 30-day or 60-day temporary permits.
How many license plates do I need in Michigan?
Only a single rear license plate is required for each vehicle. It has an embossed blue serial on reflective white plate. There’s a wavy blue band screened at bottom and a screened blue Pure Michigan logo centered at top. The serial format contains three letters and four numerical digits in the form of ABC 1234. The serials issued as of March 1, 2022 range from DAA 0000 to EPY 0000.
What are the different types of plates issued in Michigan?
- Fundraising License Plates
- Personalized License Plates
- Historical Plates
- Standard Plates
- Collector License Plates
- Special Organization Plates
- Veteran / Military Service Plates
How can I transfer of license plates to another vehicle in Michigan?
Apply for the transfer of license plate at the Secretary of State office. You will need the title to the vehicle to which the plate will be transferred, and the current registration documents. You will also need to pay transfer fee and, possibly, additional fees if the transfer involves two different vehicle types.
What do I get from a Michigan license plate lookup?
Using the license plate number as a search index, you will ou can get a vehicle history report with the following information:
- Vehicle specifications are important vehicle details like model year, trim, mileage and other information that may be provided by the seller or dealer.
- Vehicle records that indicate title status, history of lien, sales, title brand, salvage or total loss history, and other possible indicators of auto theft and fraud.
- Market value based on the price paid for a similar model and make in your area.
- Fuel efficiency is the distance that the car can travel on a specific amount of fuel.
- Safety rating refers to vehicle design and technology to prevent crash and protect its occupants in a crash.
- Warranty and recall announced by the manufacturer (including remedies and prescribed period)